Wednesday 30 October 2013

A Trip of Hares

Brown Hare - Lepus europaeus

We have had a lot of hares in the garden all summer but yesterday afternoon there were six of them right outside the conservatory! Too good an opportunity to miss, so I got the camera out and got a bit carried away.

Hares are one of my favourite creatures and they seem to be thriving these days, which is very good news. I think they like the combination of fields in front of our house, woods to the side, lots of luscious lawn grass and windfall apples.


Brown Hare - Lepus europaeus

Brown Hare - Lepus europaeus

I was wondering what is the collective noun for a group of hares? So, I looked it up and there are lots of them - husk, flick, drove, down, leash, mute, trace, and probably my favourite, a trip of hares.

I am hoping next spring to get some photos of them "boxing".

Brown Hare - Lepus europaeus

Brown Hare - Lepus europaeus

For late October, the weather has been unseasonably warm. I am happy about this because the grass seed that we planted by the pond is coming through nicely. However, on Monday we had a very bad storm, predicted well in advance by the Met Office. It was forecast to be the worst storm since the hurricane in 1987 when we lost six big trees and had no electricity for a whole week.

I am happy to say that although very wild, it was not as bad as 1987. We lost part of our electricity supply for a day and a half, but suffered no other damage. Surprisingly, there were no trees uprooted, just quite a few branches down.

The clocks went back last weekend, so sadly, the darkness of winter is closing in :(

4 comments:

Sandra said...

How are you, Jenny? So nice to see your photos of hares. I'm glad that no serious damage was done by the recent storms.
Yes, the long evenings are with us again, but there's something snug about thoughts of winter too!

Jenny said...

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your comments. Actually, as much as I hate winter, it was really nice sitting in front of a roaring fire the other evening when there was no heating due to the power cut!

Unknown said...

Great to see pictures of hares and I am pleased to hear they are thriving. Thank you for posting :)

Jenny said...

Thanks for commenting, Andrea. Glad you like them.