Tuesday 5 April 2011

The First Bluebells of 2011

Bluebells

Everyone who knows me realises that I get very excited at the start of the bluebell season. It is such a beautiful time of year, if we have time to get out and enjoy it.

The first bluebells started appearing last weekend. They start with just a few here and there. During the next few weeks more and more appear until there is a glorious blue carpet through the woods. Then they start to fade. The whole magical experience only lasts 4 to 5 weeks.

I saw the first swallow today, back from its winter in Africa. So spring is well and truly here.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Lovely bluebell picture! How I love to be in England in bluebell season, especially as it's pretty near my birthday... depending on the year and how advanced the spring is!

I first discovered your blog when I was looking for bluebells!

Ah! the blueness of them! Out of this world!

Unknown said...

I'm now the proud owner of approx. 83 bluebells, my aim is a whole valley which isn't easy in USA. I've also discovered native orange Azaleas which are smelling wonderful. They remind me of Goyt valley many years ago with my father, happy days.